The Sponza Palace
All trade routes of Dubrovnik Republic went through this marvelous
palace, maybe the most beautiful in whole of Dubrovnik built with
the purpose of being a custom-house.
The Sponza palace was built in a mixture of late Gothic and Renaissance
styles following the plans of Paskoje Miličević who also built
the famous sacristy of the Dominican monastery .
In the construction of the Sponza Palace he used all of his ingenuity
and inspiration making it his masterpiece worthy of the Dubrovnik
experience. The building posses the so called "Dubrovnik manner",
the way of building which propagates
simplicity and harmony highly appealing to the eye. Especially the
facade of the palace is higly appealing giving the impression of
kind of a stone lacework.
The Sponza Palace construction started in 1516 and as mentioned
earlier was basically intended for a custom-house, a place where
the goods brought by merchants from all over the world would be conveyed
and custom fees collected.
The atrium of the palace, is divinely formed with an arched gallery spreading
all around, encircling the once always busy commerce centre and the meeting
place of all businessmen of the old Dubrovnik republic and beyond. Today the
Atrium of the Sponza palace is an art gallery always exhibiting some interesting
works from Dubrovnik present or past.
One wing of the Sponza palace used to house the state mint in the
time of the Dubrovnik republic. The mint was founded by the Republic
earlier, in the 14th century and the mint went on working in Sponza
palace up to the fall of the Dubrovnik Republic.
By the end of the 16th century Sponza became the central cultural
centre of the Dubrovnik Republic. The highly educated citizens of
Dubrovnik, the members of the prestige club "The Academy of The Learned" met
on regular basis in this palace and they led their discussions about
Literature, arts and all the important scientific achievements of
Undamaged in The Great Earthquake of 1667 the Sponza palace now
proudly stands on Stradun, the main street of Dubrovnik, while showing
off its luxury, like an old lady with its pearls, to a noble ever
smiling warrior Orlando who eternally glares at the enchanted palace
guarding it from ruffians as once before he defended Dubrovnik and
deserved his rightful place on Stradun to forever hold the "Libertas" (freedom)
flag during the opening of the Dubrovnik Summer Festival as actors
guide the opening ceremony from the Sponza palace terrace.
To learn more about the Sponza Palace follow the given link:
Dubrovnik City - Sponza Palace (opens new window)